On Sunday, when I was doing some weeding next to the house, I saw these long vines, woody stems around 1/3" thick, and maybe 6' long. They had clusters of 3 leaves on them, but the leaves weren't shiny or reddish or darkish, as I thought they would normally look if I should be afraid of them. I knew poison ivy comes in clusters of 3 leaves, but I didn't really think these otherwise benign looking weeds would cause much problem. I tried to pull them out fairly casually to start with just by grabbing and pulling at the vines, but without a great grip on them, I just stripped all the leaves off of them into my hand as I pulled. That didn't work very well; so I proceeded to wrap the vines around my hands to get a good grip on them, and then tried to pull them out - hopefully by the roots. Carrying the crushed leaves, and pieces of vines to the compost pile, along with a pile of other weeds, I started to think that I might be in trouble. I casually washed off my legs and arms with the hose just in case, but as it turns out, I had gotten much of my body in contact with the poison, and even after the hose washing, I was going to have problems.
Oddly, I broke out in an immediate surface skin rash on my arms, but I think/thought this was my allergic response to tomato plant leaves. That's what caused me to take a more thorough shower at that point. And as it turned out, that rash DID go away in an hour or two.
I knew the poison could incubate for a day or two, so nervous as I was, by Tuesday night, I thought I was in the clear.
Then on Wednesday, I started itching a little bit: I tried applying some hydrocortisone, which I didn't think helped very much - maybe it did. I was suspicious, but not convinced that I was f*cked yet. Wednesday night was worse, and then by Thursday morning, I had rashes forming on my neck, part of my face and my arms, and I recognized it as poison ivy, and realized I was going to suffer. I bought some Calydryl, which seemed to help temporarily - maybe for 10 minutes or so per application ... but I knew I wasn't in great shape. After doing some research at work, I read that it generally would last for 1-3 weeks - and I didn't like the sound of that. But I remember when I was a kid having poison ivy really bad - to the point that I could easily cry, and we'd just put calamine lotion on it and deal with it. So I figured this would be dealt with in a similar way. Who'd a thought there are better ways to deal with it that no one in my family would have known about when I was young?
Thursday night was miserable - no sleep even after taking a Tylenol PM (granted it expired in 2001, but I don't think that's especially relevant), and applying the Caladryl (CVS generic) often and liberally (2-3 drops at a time). Friday I went into work, only intending to stay an hour or two - because I knew I was in bad shape. As it turns out, my coworker recommended a scrub that is actually supposed to surround and suck out the urushiol, the toxin responsible for the reaction. Zanfel is the only product claiming to do this, and the reviews were very good. However, whereas Calydryl cost around $1 per ounce, this cost $40, and Duane Reade had no generic! (I later learned that CVS does, for less than $18 per ounce). I cared enough to buy it, which goes a ways to showing how miserable I was - went home and started using it.
Zanfel is an exfoliator (and spermicide and acne medicine - or at least its ingredients include those chemicals), and when rubbed on the affected areas, you become like a maddenned dog scratching more and more vigorously until your muscles are sore from the effort, and your skin is reddened from it too. But it seems to have started working almost immediately. Still, it is difficult for it to penetrate thicker skin (like my hands, which were still getting progressively worse), and it was Friday afternoon, and I was afraid the symptoms might continue to get worse, and then I wouldn't be able to see a doctor until Monday, so I agreed to go when my wife got me a walk-in appointment at the dermatologist. They gave me a shot of cortocortisol (I think), that was supposed to have the same effect as a 14 day declining dose of the steroid Prednisone.
Well, it's Saturday morning, and I look and feel way better. I've been using the Zanfel (and bought a back-up tube of the CVS generic for next time, or for friends and family who get into ivy trouble), and I also bought Technu, which will wash off the urushiol next time I think I may have exposure. I also bought this more topical gel that used to be called Rhuli gel (that is made by band-aid now as anti-itch gel) with camphor (which also appears to be working a little), and I have extras of that for friends and family too.
I don't know necessarily how much benefit I've been getting from the shot, and how much from the Zanfel, but the lesions are retreating, and the itching is much much better, and I only started both these treatments about 24 hours ago. I can function again, and by Monday, I think the healing will be nearly complete.
I have to say a couple things: all the reviews, and even personal testimonial from friends about the shot or prednisone have been impressive, but not strong enough to make me go. Well for anyone who wonders, or if this happens again: Go to the doctor and get the shot - the downside is maybe $35 and an hour going to the doctor, but it works, and I don't see any side effects, and I would absolutely go back if I could do this again. No one was strong enough in saying that to me who had personal experience with it ... just get the shot - it's so worth it (especially considering I spent $40 on 1 ounce of the Zenfel). I would also say that I recommend using the generic Zenfel, in addition to other topical sprays/gels (calydryl and that camphor spray both decent enough for minor applications).
Who'd a thought you didn't have to suffer for at least a week being miserable from the severe itching? The medecines really helped - I didn't know or think they would. I'm very pleasantly surprised ... and I'm happy to tell anyone else who wants to know how to beat the itch. Supposedly this works for poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac too. Medicate! (I feel like this is how the rich do it!) And have a nice day.
-JS
Addendum: note that poison ivy is not contagious either to other parts of your own skin, or to other people, even if it were leaking liquid.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Guest post from the Poison Ivy patient
Posted by Cassandra Jupiter on 8/09/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
246 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 201 – 246 of 246viagra without prescription viagra for sale - buy viagra online legally
sildenafil citrate viagra no prescription overnight delivery - order viagra online us
cheap viagra viagra side effects - viagra buy in bangkok
buy cialis can you buy cialis over the counter in canada - buy cialis dubai
buy generic cialis online no prescription cialis online 24 ore - where to order cialis europe
[url=http://loveepicentre.com][img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/6.jpg[/img][/url]
largest dating sites [url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials.php]fresh new dating sex sites[/url] african american dating service
nude dating games [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]gratis dating advertenties[/url] caution when dating latino woman
dating sites in so cal [url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials.php]who is bam margera dating today[/url] milf dating chat
[url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials.php][img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/3.jpg[/img][/url]
who is jason mesnick dating [url=http://loveepicentre.com/success_stories.php]top 100 addult dating sites[/url] xiuli and dating scams
latin internet dating [url=http://loveepicentre.com/success_stories.php]dating south shore massachusetts[/url] who are dube and davison dating
sex dating services [url=http://loveepicentre.com/advice.php]free dating site australia[/url] free affair dating sites
order viagra viagra online us pharmacy - viagra online dr thom
buy soma online buy discount soma online - soma health club costs
buy cialis cialis website reviews - buy viagra cialis online
viagra online buy generic viagra online us - generic viagra when
buy cialis buy cialis safely online - buy cheap cialis from us
buy soma online difference between soma generic - buy soma online usa
buy cheap viagra best generic viagra forum - buy viagra 2011
buy cialis online pharmacy for generic cialis - cialis online daily
[url=http://loveepicentre.com][img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/4.jpg[/img][/url]
adult dating new zealand [url=http://loveepicentre.com/advice.php]craigs dating[/url] muslim dating system
online dating melbourne australia [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]hans matheson dating[/url] dating sites without registration
internet dating m [url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials.php]ross shimabuku gay dating[/url] craigslist polyamory dating
[url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials.php][img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/9.jpg[/img][/url]
adult singles dating lane south dakota [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]colorado introduction dating service[/url] parenting and teenage dating
jamaican dating sites [url=http://loveepicentre.com/articles.php]ethnic dating websites[/url] reviews on fuck book dating
online rpg dating games [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]dating for large woman[/url] norwegian dating customs
[url=http://loveepicentre.com/][img]http://loveepicentre.com/uploades/photos/4.jpg[/img][/url]
hot latina cams dating [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]milf dating frree[/url] fun sexy dating games
dating latin girls [url=http://loveepicentre.com/faq.php]from dating magazines[/url] dating old hags houston tx
foot dating [url=http://loveepicentre.com/]dating servies in des moines iowa[/url] online dating for older adults
soma online soma cube online game - soma online no rx
buy generic soma order soma online cheap - buy soma 350 mg
buy soma online picture of soma medication - buy soma with a mastercard
soma online buy soma tramadol - soma online purchase
retin-a online pharmacy retin a cream indication - retin a usa buy
generic soma soma san diego mapquest - soma san diego two door cinema club
soma online cheap soma food - soma san diego black keys
buy soma online discount soma bras - buy soma double cross
buy soma soma muscle relaxer erowid - soma online no prescription overnight delivery
buy tramadol in florida buy ultram no prescription - tramadol street price
buy tramadol online help buy tramadol - tramadol withdrawal is hell
cheap tramadol is tramadol hcl make you high - tramadol
buy tramadol xymel 50mg tramadol - purchase tramadol
buy retin-a online retin-a cream prescription - retin a micro hyperpigmentation
tramadol 50 can you buy tramadol online legally - tramadol hcl 50 mg picture
buy tramadol tramadol online paypal - does tramadol 50mg get you high
buy tramadol 100mg online tramadol rash - buy tramadol without script
where to buy retin-a online buy retin a for cheap - buy retin a micro online no prescription
legal buy tramadol online tramadol 50 mg vs percocet - tramadol hcl high effects
buy tramadol buy tramadol 200mg - buy generic tramadol
tramadol 50 mg tramadol withdrawal period - tramadol addiction treatment centers
buy tramadol overnight buy tramadol online for dogs - buy tramadol from mexico
buy tramadol overnight delivery buy tramadol online legal - tramadol rash
buy tramadol online overdose of tramadol for dogs - ultram side effects in elderly
tramadol online tramadol 50 mg o 100 mg - buy tramadol online for cheap
[url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/casodex.htm][img]http://onlinemedistore.com/7.jpg[/img][/url]
on line pharmacy http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/flomax.htm pharmacy casa grande az [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/toprol-xl.htm]k mart pharmacy[/url]
pharmacy terms sod ext camyl http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/nolvadex.htm travel pharmacy technician [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/crestor.htm]crestor[/url]
freedom pharmacy scam http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/omnicef.htm bridge pharmacy cheadle hulme jobs [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/speman.htm]bay pharmacy[/url]
texas board of pharmacy http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/ventolin.htm pharmacy brandenburg kentucky [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/prazosin.htm]prazosin[/url]
buy tramadol ultram buy tramadol cod next day delivery - buy cheap tramadol
buy misoprostol canada - buy generic misoprostol online - buy cytotec in uae
Post a Comment