Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Need job at army canteen

What's wrong with me? I can never cook just for a few people or enough for my family, but I have to go way overboard. Today, I made 6.5 quarts of carrot soup! I think it tastes pretty good. Any takers?

Part of my problem might be the enormous cookware I've demanded from my husband. I think I'm the only one I know who owns not one but two 14" frying pans!

The soup was a product of using a 12 quart stock pot, probably the largest one in most kitchens. But I go one further. I own a behemoth, 20 quart stock pot! Sometimes I make a ridiculous amount of chili in it. 4 lbs of beef, 2 lbs of sausage, 4 lbs of dry beans, an insane amount of peppers, and onions, and various sundry. This chili can swallow up any ingredients. Once, I chopped up an entire bunch of cilantro and the chili swallowed all of it up, the cilantro all but disappeared.

I chuckle at recipes that say, this can be doubled. Pfshaw!!! What I'd like to know is can your recipe be octupled?!

7 comments:

Katie & Rich said...

Mary loved your carrot soup-will need to get that recipe from you. Except I really don't want to make that much! :)

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Yes, that is smart to make a smaller amount because in order to yield 6.5 quarts of soup, you will need at least 4lbs of carrots, 1.5 lbs of celery, etc.

js said...

It's actually not that much: I'm on the (local) train into the city, and I just ate a quart of it before we got to Crestwood (first stop - about 3 minutes). It's very good, by the way - I added pepper though before I left the house. Keep up the good work!

farnk said...

These blogs and comments are so funny and well written I'm going to get a new computer!........??

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Farnk, I don't understand why you'd need a new computer? A total non-sequitor right now. Do tell.

RC said...

How else would one use up these enormous quantities of produce one has to purchase at Costco?

I don't have any pots or pans that even come CLOSE to what you have. I do admire your cookware.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Strangely enough, less than three days later, all of the carrot soup is gone. I froze 2 quarts. Someone came over and ate a whole quart. Josh had one quart on the way in to work one morning. And then the other 1.5 quarts just disappeared from the fridge! All I had was two tablespoons for taste!