Saturday, December 27, 2008

Apple doesn't fall far...

When I first met Josh, almost 8 years ago, I think he thought my ethnicity was a novelty. One of our first dates was in Central Park, it was one of those free (but of course!) concerts. While sitting on the blanket and as I was feeling pretty good about getting to know him, he came up with a proposal for a game. How about I make a whole bunch of noises and you tell me if it's a word in Thai? he suggested. He completely jostled me out of my daydream into an indelicate reality. I was so offended, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I gave him a mouthful. Told him how offensive it was and that it was like making throwing up or other bodily funtion noises and asking someone if it meant something in his/her language - juvenile and uncouth.
We were able to move on from this experience because, as you know, a few years later, I have two beautiful children with this sometimes boorish idiot. Last night, one of our children told me she was going to say "goodnight" in Japanese. I got really excited, thinking that she picked up some Japanese from school. "Oookie ka ka ka da du" she says and I realize that she's making up sounds/noises. Then she says, I'm going to sing a song in Japanese. She belts out "Ode to Joy" but uses a bunch of non-sense syllables for the "lyrics". I can not believe the perfect pitch and melody and how long the "singing" goes on for. I guess she inherited her musical sense and sense of humor from Dad. I am now very concerned that she will soon tell fraternity-style potty and locker room humor types of jokes and humiliate me (as my husband often does). But it also means she will play a mean twinkle twinkle little star on the piano!

2 comments:

farnk said...

O this is so funny and revealing abnd candid! Anyone who doesn't read this blog is missing out on one of life's great commentaries! As far as 'potty' humor goes I'm reminded of an incident in the Berkshires last summer at a 'family' reunion. I was peeing in a basement toilet wjen all of a sudden Saydee burst in and looked at me an exclaimed: "Oooh, dooot man man li!" - or at least that's what it sounded like to me. A couple of months later when I asked her Thai 'nanny' what that could mean she put her hand to her mouth and said it was 'something not very nice..."! So I think she's going to be quite something...

SBP Editor said...

Damn your kids sound cool... I want to meet them again. And would you buy a piano already?!?