Saturday, July 26, 2008

WTF? Tell me what you like

We've been using a really cheap (and in my opinion crappy) Kraft (ew!) Parmesan. I tried telling Josh that we can do better, but my spendthrifty pleas sound are so whiny and frequent that they often go unheeded. Recently my husband found out that his parents have been consuming $13/lb Parmesan cheese, so he got very upset. It's not what you think though. Because his parents are generally thrifty people (the apple does not fall far from the tree), if they are willing to splurge on a product, then it must be good. He felt cheated. He learned to get cheap cheese from them, if they've moved on, why didn't they clue him in? Thinking about how many times they've stayed at our house and ate the crappy cheese without sharing their opinions on how things should be done makes my husband fume.
There're plenty more stories like this, the basic gist is that someone's figured out something good or likes a certain product AND they know what you're using/eating is crappy but they keep mum. I used to think my husband sounded like a pretty whiny nerd to get mad over this, but then it happened to me.

I've been complaining for ages about my crappy teeth. Anyone who's listened to me while using/owning an electric toothbrush makes me angry. Why didn't you say anything?! Now that I have one, I feel obligated to tell others who would benefit from knowing this information.
I'm totally incensed that people don't do enough sharing. Everyone knows word of mouth is powerful testimonial so why are people so loath to doing it? Is politeness the main reason to stay quiet? Because privately thinking someone's an idiot when you can help change the situation sounds pretty rude to me. I'm not asking you to spew non-sequiturs left and right, inundating all conversations with recommendations but if the subject does come up, you happen to know something about it, connect the dots, do some good for the world, goddammit and tell me what you know. You can try to balance "to each his own" with "share your knowledge", but when you are hanging out with me, you can always err on the side of letting it all hang out - please!
Josh and I are like missionaries for all the things we like. Here's a list of some stuff we think are great, please add your words of wisdom here. Quickly, for Christ's sake, you've made me wait for too long!
1. Eurofoam mattress
2. Pulltap corkscrews
3. Down pillows
4. Ralph Lauren towels from Horchow
5. Lands end rashguards for kids
6. Menstrual cups (this one's just from lil 'ol me)
7. GPS unit
8. Mach 3 razor blades
9. Cheap knives that are frequently sharpened
10. Cuisinart multiclad as an economical substitute to All Clad
11. San Marzano tomatoes

6 comments:

farnk said...

I can't believe you actually have the chutzpah to be angry at people because they didn't tell you what to buy. First ofall, I would say that you and Josh are the types who think they've already figured everything out and if someone comes along and says they like Stew Leonard or Whole Foods or the Westchester all they get is an indulgent smile that says "Oh for pity's sake, doesn't the poor fool know how to shop and get things cheaper? Everytime I go to visit I bring my Sonicare and my WaterPik (I just bought the nbew cordless model at Bed and Bath this morning) so if anyone is interested they can just observe me. And everyone knows how I feel about coffee, coffeemakers and the necessity for backups. I am always ready with my list of "best buys" and the advice is free so don't hesitate to ask. Next contemplated purchase: the 24" iMac!
So calm down and have a nice day with your two wonderful children...

RC said...

I've known you for 12 years and I didn't know you have crappy teeth or any such thing. I've always thought you have great hygiene. I have the Oral-B and hubby has the Sonicare. I tried his (with my own brush of course) and just couldn't deal with the tingling. I don't know whether it works, just that my dentist says that I am so bad at brushing my teeth (I apply too much pressure that my gums get hurt) that I should stick with electric. Don't forget to floss. Stick with a monofilament like "Glide". (My favorite. They have a great deal on it at Costco (5 packs for 11.99 or so, typically 2.50+ at the drugstores)

Cassandra Jupiter said...

RC! I've been meaning to add an addendum to this post to give an example of people who do share and give out wonderful tips and information. For instance, I bought some of the nicest/softest cashmere sweaters for $40 because you clued me in.
As for personal hygiene, I'd like to think I pride myself on it. But I'm using my hormones as an excuse for why my teeth have recently gone to crap. BTW, why can't you share a brush head with your hubby? You kiss him don't you?

RC said...

I'm no dentist or biologist, but I imagine more germs and bad bacteria are transferred via a shared toothbrush than via a kiss?

js said...

I also like the 3M medical paper tape. It can be used like a band-aid. Breathes, sticks, doesn't come off in water. Cheap too. Really good product.

SBP Editor said...

I told everyone who'd listen when I first discovered the killer Sonicare/Listerine combo 10 years ago.

Next item for you: a German-made pressure cooker (don't go for the cheap Italian models). Perfectly boiled potatoes in under 10 minutes, with energy savings to boot.