Thursday, June 5, 2008

Literally bringing home the bacon

Adding to my idea of mandating food scrap recycling, I'm ready to impose that everyone with a suitable plot of land grow something edible or raise sheep, pigs, chickens or cows. Wouldn't it be great if we could exchange produce/meat/livestock products with neighbors? I offered this idea to Josh on the train but he poo-pooed it, thinking that we can't abandon technology and go back to our ancestral model of acquiring food. Ironically, I thought growing your own stuff is more ethical and sustainable...Last night I was reading a few things about Monsanto, how much chemical processing and fossil fuels it takes to get food to the table and how evil and scary certain industrial practices are. I really feel bad for how animals are treated and scared about all the antibiotics and hormones used in meat/dairy/egg processing.

3 comments:

rc said...

How can JS not want people to go back to an ancestral model when he won't let your furnish the house b/c he wants to live on a farm? JS, what did you plan to do out in the country with all the land you plan to own if not farm? Wouldn't K's proposed model be a start?

js said...

I do plan on farming it ... but I don't think it's much for "progress" ... it's more to satisfy my own emotional wish to get closer to the earth ... but I don't think you could support the populations of the world today on (less efficient) family farms ...

farnk said...

I feel bad for the way some animals are raised for slaughter, too. That's why I've decided to eat only free-range chicken - if and when I eat chicken.