Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just produce them and they will grow

I've been feeling a lot of guilt about how I should be spending more time at home or mother differently. And that maybe I should have waited for more spacing between my children so that I can give better individual attention to each. Today, someone at work provided some words of comfort and hopefully wisdom to me. She has teenage kids and said that if you take a group of kids, look at them, interview them, look at their grades/activities, it's not like you can separate them into two distinct groups: Oh-those-kids-moms-worked-full-time-jobs and these-kids-came-from-households-with-stay-at-home-moms.

It's a relief to know that they'll all thrive and that it's hard to screw up big time. A lot of it seems hard-wired and beyond your control?

1 comment:

farnk said...

This isn't exactly the research I saw. I heard on NPR (noch!) that there was virtually no difference in childrens' school performance or social skills between those who were put in day care and those with stay-at-home mothers. I don't see any reason why you should feel guilty because you work - especially if you enjoy what you're doing.