Monday, March 3, 2008

An investment idea

After my rush from shopping at Costco has subsided and I'm nearly $350 poorer...I'm still amazed not only by the rising costs of food but also by how some goods are so cheap in comparison. First some prices of foodstuffs, bread for $5, blueberries for $9, green tea for $12.50, soymilk for $9, natural juice blend for $8 etc. Yes, these were all gigantic sizes but still I racked up a sizeable $200 or thereabouts, just in food. On this same trip, I also got a terrific down alternative queen size comforter for my mother for $50 and king sized down alternative pillows for me at only $5 each. They are so plump and fluffy, I feel quite pleased with this particular purchase. I'm leaning on them now as I type this blog entry. Is it just me or is that really cheap in comparison with the foodstuffs? I can enjoy these pillows until I die but the bread will only be good for 4 days. What gives?!
The investment idea is to invest in Chilean farms or fruit producers. I've noticed that a lot of produce come from Chile, like blueberries, nectarines or onions. And the prices of this stuff is no longer cheap. Don't you feel like not so long ago onions were like 9 cents a lb and all of a sudden, they're $1.50-$2.00? It's at a point where if I'm disappointed by a fruit I buy, it takes a lot of aloha spirit to not bring it back for a refund.

3 comments:

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Update on the $5 pillow: It did not function as well for certain tasks as my down pillows. It did function better for propping than my down pillows but for sleeping, nothing beats the down pillows.

Anonymous said...

I agree: nothing beats the down and I also never heard of a king-size pillow for $5 down 'alternative' or whatever. I usually pay about $40 dollars for a pillow and I would pay more if I could get good sleep.
I don't think investing in Chile is a good idea because of their unstable political system - but I wish I had invested in the euro when it was on a par with the dollar.

RC said...

If you're worried about the price of foodstuffs, there's definitely cause for concern. In addition to the prices of commodities increasing, search for articles about "colony collapse disorder", which has been affecting bees for the last two years and can have a significant impact on our food supply. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/07/eveningnews/main3919204.shtml?source=search_story
Or how about this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/business/worldbusiness/09crop.html?em&ex=1205294400&en=8e4d95e8c98ca590&ei=5087%0A