Friday, February 1, 2008

How does another Star live?

Inspired and completely amused by my father-in-law's recounting of the humdrum of his day, here's my version of a typical weekday.
6-7AM: Either my mother or Josh brings my gigantic 22 lb baby into my bed and I feed her while I'm half asleep.
7-7:30AM: My gigantic baby is writhing aggressively in our bed, wanting to play. I try to stay away because I don't want her to kick me in the stomach but at the same time, I have to stay close to protect her from falling off the bed.
7:30-7:40AM: Mad rush to get ready for work. I'm still half asleep.
7:40-7:45AM: My older daughter, mother, my nanny and I exchange some hugs and benign pleasantries and I leave to go to work.
VARIATIONS: My nanny drives me to the train. My older daughter and gigantic baby are both in bed with me, my husband tries to rouse me from a deep sleep, etc.
The next eight hours go by in a blur because I'm at work.
5:45PM: I walk in the door at home and my older daughter feeds me her current favorite lie: You sleep by yourself (she means, I slept by myself, but it's not true).
5:45-6PM: Eat whatever scraps I can find like a barbarian. Talk with mouth open (just kidding)
6-7PM: Eagerly wait for the arrival of my husband, play with Sadie and Dazee, try to con Sadie to drink her milk and finish up her dinner. VARIATION: some nights, I make dinner.
7-7:30PM: Get Sadie bathed and feed Dazee.
7:30-8:30PM - My husband and I take turns in comforting the children. We switch off, back and forth, praying for them both to shut up and go to bed.
9PM - Hopefully by now they're both asleep, so I can do any of the following: ignore my husband because he's watching TV, nag him about something, blog, eat more, go shopping or window-shopping online or in a store, exercise or maybe talk to my husband.
Sometime between 10:00-11:PM: Feed Dazee
Sometime between 10:30-11PM - Yikes! Where did the time go. How did I waste two hours doing nothing? I have to take a shower, wash my hair, blow dry it, floss and brush my teeth. Can I do this in less than 20 minutes so I can get to bed? I curse myself for not being in bed sooner.
Sometime between 11PM - 11:30PM: Hopefully I'm in bed, clean and refreshed. Now I'm ready to talk to my husband and I tell him I love him and that I'm so glad to be married to him.
Within 2 seconds of his head hitting the pillow, he's asleep and sometimes he snores.
I toss and turn for anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours and then I drift off.

2 comments:

frank said...

I don't know if you've been completely honest - some parts of this sound almost too good to be true.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Really? As I wrote it and after I wrote it, I thought about how incredibly boring my life is. And how I'm always in a rush, tired or stressed. I need to be more organized but my life is also the same old routine day in day out. I need to schedule in some fun.