Friday, January 11, 2008

Diversity

When I first met Josh I thought he had some kind of an accent but I couldn't pinpoint what kind. (And his father thought I had an accent, which really pissed me off because as a child, I was "trained" to eliminate my foreign accent. As it turns out, the training is too successful because my accent is like a phonics teacher - too much enunciation.) When we did a short hike on Snake Mountain or other, we met other hikers. It came to me in a flash that he has a Vermont accent and so does his dad.
Here's a feud we've been having about Vermont, can you settle it? I insist that the word, "creamy" is regional. Growing up in NY, I've never heard of creamy used for soft ice cream. But I haven't heard of a lot of things, so who knows? Josh insists that the term, creamy is not regional. I think creamy is similar to how Philadelphians use hoagie for sandwich. I just realized that I can Google this to settle it once and for all so this post is lame and meaningless. Oh well. It's a nod to you, Haik. I can't help it.

8 comments:

Beth said...

It's not "creamy."

It's CREEMEE!!!!!!!!! And it's not regional at all, despite other people's claim that it's called "soft serve." I have no idea where those people come from.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Hahahah! Is that really how it's spelled? Who knew?!

Beth said...

Yes. We also spell Fries "Frys". See: http://www.alsfrenchfrys.com/
This is the ONLY place in Vermont to get a creemee. It's in South Burlington but make Josh take you there.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Well now that I know how to spell it, I wikipedia-ed it:
Creemee is another term for soft-serve ice cream. Mostly used by people from New Jersey, Upstate NY, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
Al's looks like an anachronism!

js said...

I got to this late, but thanks Beth, for correcting her "spelling" mistake. It made me cringe to see it spelled "creamy" - I didn't even know what she was talking about until I read on further.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

I'm sorry but "creemee" is pretty infantile spelling. Why are we using so many quotes? JS - why is spelling in quotes?

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Here's how I came up with "creamy"...I thought it was a cute way for Vermonsters to say ice cream. You know, ice creamy.

js said...

"spelling" in quotes because I'm suggesting it's a different word altogether - not just a wrong spelling of a single word.