Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cooking

I grew up mostly on Chinese fast food. My mom worked long hours and never had time to cook so we always had takeout. She did make some things every now and again but I didn't get enough experience to actually learn how to cook from her. I used to watch my grandmother cook a lot and I learned how to cut all kinds of meat and vegetables from her. Her cooking was always delicious because she sprinkled magical MSG on everything she made. Today, when people hear that I'm from Thailand and that I cook or like to cook, they get excited and jump to the conclusion that I must make really fabulous Thai food for my Asian pervert husband. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm intimidated to cook Thai food and my husband doesn't like Thai food. What I actually cook for him are his favorite foods, which I'd like to coin, "melting pot gourmet Americana". They are things like: spaghetti and meatballs, beef tacos, chicken parmesan, etc. I always feel embarrassed telling people about these dishes because they don't seem gourmet enough for someone's who's just revealed she likes cooking. So I have to explain how I sometimes make my own salsa from tomatoes from the garden or the special way I slice and then pound chicken breasts when making chicken marsala. But then again, why do I feel pressured to live up to their image of how I cook? I was chastised the other day by Josh when I proclaimed that olive oil and vegetable oil have the same taste and utility in my kitchen.

No comments: