Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chasing rainbows

At this point in my life, I am pretty confident in my ability to nonchalantly state that I'm Thai, Chinese and American. But when I was growing up I had a lot of identity issues -- figuring out who I was or where I belonged was a big deal. I never felt "American" because I'm of Asian descent. And among Asians, it was hard to figure out where I belonged, with the Thais or the Chinese. (There isn't any real "Asian" solidarity, but rather union among national descent.) I didn't speak or write Chinese but had a lot of exposure to the culture. I read and spoke Thai but had very little exposure to the culture. Blah, blah, blah.
Today, I find myself thinking a lot about whether my bi-racial and multi-cultural children will have the same angst towards their identity. I read somewhere that these children tend to choose one or the other culture/race to identify with. I'm hoping that as the human race progresses, all these differences become insignificant; we become more of a rainbow and we don't have to choose.
How can I bring this rainbow to my kids? I think and dream a lot about moving to Hawaii. I heard that mixed race couples and children are common there. I'd like my chidren to grow up in an environment full of rainbow people like them.

2 comments:

i like to move it move it said...

hey, i did not know you were Chinese too.

Cassandra Jupiter said...

Hi there! "....Chinese too", does that refer to you're Chinese too or I'm Chinese too among other identities and nationalities.