Saturday, November 3, 2007

Am I a triple A cup?

Part I
Have you ever been dizzy with excitement by those para-scientist bra fitters in department stores that promise the holy grail of a perfect bra fit? They always seem to be big-chested and authoritative and unabashedly shameless about draping a silly hot pink measuring tape around their necks. They tell me all sorts of ills can be attributed to a poor bra fit -- backache, hammer toes, hungry children, etc. Anyways, their methods are always the same and really the instructions on how to fit yourself for a bra are really the same every where. For a reference, check out Victoria's Secret's measuring instructions. So maybe the value-add in having them help you find the perfect fit is to have someone else measure you.

But there's something seriously faulty about the methodology. Why would you add 5 inches to get your band size then take the measurement with the fullest part of your bust, subtract the difference in inches determine your cup size? When I dutifully follow these instructions, I become a triple or quadruple A cup, which apparently is at least 3 standard deviations away from the norm because it never shows up as a size for any bra measuring chart. Who came up with this two dimensional assumption that all breasts are a certain shape and projection? Ari had clued me in on the concept of information cascade. The great example he came across is that fat is bad for you (it's never been proven). (He's waiting to be vindicated on exercise is good for you (he believes that it isn't and is the only person I know who regrets exercising), but I digress) I'm willing to bet that the Japanese don't subject their women to such stupidity. I'm going to have to find out how the ladies get measured over there and popularize it here.

Read more Bra Saga.

No comments: